About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2014/09/17

Lync Mirror RPC Server is unavailable

Don’t ask me why, I just know what I did to work around it.

Situation

I was engaged in establishing a database mirror for a new monitoring database for an established Lync 2013 CU4 EE pool.  When it came time to publish the topology and install the new databases, the mirror refused to instantiate with an error of:

An error occurred: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException" "The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA

Lovely, eh wot?

The Fix

The SQL server version for all three servers in question is SQL 2012 SP1. I went through the usual routine of checking the services, the firewall rules, the rights and permissions on the SQL primary, mirror, and FSW.  All of that looked as it should.  Here is a good outline for you to follow should you need it.

What fixed it for me?  We turned off the firewall for all interfaces on all three SQL servers.  I know, but don’t ask me.  After the successful mirror activity, we turned the firewalls back on for all interfaces on all three SQL servers and everything seems to be happy.

Go figure.

YMMV

No comments:

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture