About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2011/02/24

Exchange 2010 SP1 UM & UCMAredist.msp

I ran into a bizarre error today.  The client has two full-up DAG servers – all roles on each server, including UM.  We noticed that the UM role would not stay running.  Checking the DR site revealed that the DR server had the exact same set of errors and the UM service would not stay running.  The errors we were seeing are:

(application log, EID 1000, source “application error”)

Faulting application name: UMworkerprocess.exe, version: 14.1.218.11, time stamp: 0x4c5faa82
Faulting module name: Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Media.dll, version: 3.5.6907.206, time stamp: 0x4c2c21fe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000019ccab
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13

(application log, EID 1430, source MSExchange Unified Messaging)

The Unified Messaging server shut down process umservice (PID=17732) because a fatal error occurred.

(application log, EID 1038, source MSExchange Unified Messaging

The Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging service was unable to start. More information: "Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMService.UMServiceException: The UM worker process exceeded the configured maximum number of consecutive crashes, "5".
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMService.WorkerProcessManager.RestartWorkerInstance(WorkerInstance workerInstance)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMService.WorkerProcessManager.OnWorkerExited(WorkerInstance workerInstance, Boolean resetRequested, Boolean fatalError)
   at Microsoft.Exchange.UM.UMService.WorkerInstance.OnExited(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.OnExited()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.RaiseOnExited()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.WaitOrTimerCallback_Context_f(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitOrTimerCallback.PerformWaitOrTimerCallback(Object state, Boolean timedOut)"

image

WFT?!

I could not find anything obvious, and a Google on these items turned up nothing substantive.  I double-checked my install as-builts, verified that the proper prerequisite were met (desktop-experience, speechplatformruntime, ucmaruntimesteup).  I also checked the remainder of the services to confirm that all other Exchange functions were as expected. 

I went down the galgrammargenerator route to rule out corrupt grxml files. I stood up a naked E2010 in a lab, installed the UM role, grabbed the core grxml files and still the UM service would not start and stay running.  I then removed the service and reinstalled, which did not help. 

What DID work was that I remembered that the OCS to OWA integration required a ucmaredist.msp file…so I tried that.  Voila! 

Question to ponder:  why did the lab server install and function properly without the ucmaredist.msp file?  I built the lab server using the same sequence and files as the prod server so as to duplicate the error.

6 comments:

Cornerstone Kennels said...

I followed what you did and it worked in my environment! Thank you for posting this.

LB20 said...

Worked for us as well. No idea what caused the problem but THANKS a ton for posting the fix!

Garb said...

Thank you, thank you.
i just upgraded and added the um role to my exchange 2010 ent. server and was running into this same issue. i downloaded and installed the role, restarted the um service and bam! i was working.

moto822 said...

Hey J,

You are the man, this worked like a charm.

MRLindstrom said...

Is there any chance you could zip up your grammars xml files and put them up on a file host temporarily? I'm struggling to get my UM service to stay running and would hate to go through the trouble of building a lab server just for it not to work.

tsoorad said...

I just got asked or my grammar XML files. I will get them available tomorrow f they are still needed,.

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture